Mac n’ Cheese Wimauma Style + Recipe
I must say that featuring mac n’ cheese every Monday is becoming quite fun. Nothing quite compares to the cheesy, creamy goodness of this classic comfort food. Yesterday I was craving fried chicken and the first place that came to mind to satisfy my craving was none other than Wimauma.
Literally a hop, skip and a jump from my home, Wimauma is one of my favorite comfort food destinations. Since they make a down right tasty mac n’ cheese, I decided to kill two birds with one stone and order some to go along with my fried chicken and glass of bubbly. Seriously, fried chicken and champagne is a darn good combo. Try it and you will see!
After a very tiring weekend, I was too tired to cook and wanted to escape into a dish of cheesy deliciousness. Wimauma’s mac n’ cheese consists of five types of cheese so you get fives times the amount of flavor. Made with Fontina, Pecorino, Sharp Cheddar, Smoked Gouda and Swiss, it is to die for! After one bite all my stress melted away into this dish of cheesy heaven.
My mac n’ cheese came out piping hot and was thick and creamy. As I dug my fork into the sea of cheesy goodness, all I could think was “fork yeah!”
Tell me you don’t want a bite of this………………
Wimauma’s mac n’ cheese is so delicious that I am going to share their recipe with you. I don’t think I can make it as good as them, but it is worth a try. I mean, if I make it at home, nobody will see me eat five servings. 😉
Wimauma 5 Cheese & Funyun Mac n’ Cheese
- 1lb Elbow Mac – Cooked Soft
- 4oz butter
- 4 oz AP Flour
- 1 Qt Milk
- 2 oz Fontina Cheese, grated
- 2 oz Pecorino, grated
- 2 oz Sharp Cheddar, grated
- 2 oz Smoked Gouda, grated
- 2 oz Swiss cheese, grated
- 12 oz Funyun – Blitzed in Robot Coupe
- 1 TLSP – Picked & Chopped Fresh Thyme
- Cook Pasta to Soft
- Drain, Cool & Reserve
- Make Béchamel, melt butter at low temperature, whisk in flour, allow to cook for 2 minutes without any color.
- Add 1 Qt of milk, whisk vigorously.
- Allow to come to simmer and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Combine Pasta & Béchamel add 2/3 cheese & Thyme.
- Add Salt & Pepper
- Place in buttered baking dish
- Top with remaining Cheese and Funyun crumbles
- Place in oven at 350 for 20 minutes or until top is golden brown